Acquired in 2016, this Sony PMW-F5 camera kit has been designed to allow for “run and gun” news, documentary and current affairs work; as well as covering the demands high-end cinematography needed by directors of photography for 4K TV production.
We purchased the camera with the CBK-55BK shoulder assembly, allowing us to have a Sony digital wireless radio receiver installed, as well as the controls and inputs you’d expect on your standard ENG or EFP cameras. The CBK allows the use of 15mm rails as well, which come installed allowing for follow focus units to be used, as well as providing support to the beastly Canon CN-7 lens.
Combine that flexibility with the ability to shoot in Sony sLog formats with 14 stops of dynamic range, and you’ve got a function and well capable high-end documentary camera. On top of all that, the F5 features an inbuilt ND filter, allowing you to reduce the incoming light onto the sensor, without affecting the colour. It has three modes, clear, 0.9 ND (Equal to 1/8ND or 3 Stops) or 1.8ND. (Equal to 1/64 or 6 stops)
For lenses, we can currently attach any PL, EF, FZ and even B4 lenses, with the use of adaptors included in this kit. We have an Optitek Mark II Canon EF to FZ adapter for Canon SLR glass; an MTF B4 to Super 16 optical adapter for High-definition ⅔” lenses; and the standard Sony PL to FZ adapter, allowing for the use of any high-end PL lenses with full lens metadata interface with the camera.
Built-in recording modes span all the way from 720p 50fps at 50Mbps 4:2:2, to 16-bit raw 2k/4k in full CineEI mode. (Only with the external recorder AXS-R7, not included here)
As standard, high-speed shooting is possible up to 180fps in NTSC, and 150fps in PAL, allowing for high frame rates (HFR) recording, whilst keeping the recording in your native project speed, allowing for super slow motion capture. (Higher rates are possible with the AXS-R7 attachment)
Included also are two Sony 128Gb E class solid state SxS Pro Memory Cards, engineered to utilise the fast transfer speeds necessary to shoot in high-speed modes, and internal 4K recording in ultra HD. (UHD) Included in this kit are the following:
- Sony PMW-F5 digital camera
- Sony CBK-55BK shoulder mount kit with 15mm rails
- Sony DVF-L350 colour viewfinder
- Chrosziel matte box with drop in filters
- Chrosziel leather handles, ideal rig handling when using lenses without servo grips
- MTF B4 -> super 16 lens adaptor
- Optitek Mark II Canon EF to FZ adaptor
- Litepanels dimmable brick bi-colour toplight
- Blackmagic 4k video assist monitor with mounting arm and SDI lead
- Sony DWT dual channel wireless receiver, two bodypack transmitters with mics & one handheld transmitter
- Two Sony ECM-88 lavalier cabled microphones
- Various 3-pin XLR audio cables
- Sennheiser handheld/boomable ME66 mic with wind protection, pistol grip and boom pole
- Four PAG Pl96e batteries & charger
- Vinten Fibretec Vision 100 tripod
- Two 128Gb SxS Pro+ memory cards (More cards, of a lesser class can be included if required)